As a part of their regular diet, mostly rabbits eat hay and grass. They are herbivorous and may also eat a small quantity of fruits and vegetables.
Rabbits have a complex digestive system. If we change their diets suddenly or feed inappropriately then they will start facing problems like acidity and may even become very sick.
Rabbits love to eat fresh fruits and green vegetables which form a part of their balanced diet. They need a high fiber diet that is also low in sugar or fat.
Grass hay is high in fiber which helps them to maintain their digestive system.
Rabbits can eat as many vegetables as they want to eat every day.
Rabbits especially eat growing tips of grass where the concentration of nutrients is high.
- Foods you should avoid feeding your rabbit
- How should I feed my rabbits?
- Do Rabbits need water?
- Common Myths
- Myth 1: Rabbits eat a lot of carrots
- Myth 2: Hay is used as bedding
- Myth 3: Rabbits should be fed a lot of commercial food
- They can't live without carrot
- Some Rabbits are big like a toddler
- Rabbits "BINKY" When They are Happy
- Rabbits eat their poop
- Rabbits can not vomit
- Rabbits can see almost 360 degree
- Rabbit's teeth never stop growing
- Rabbit's ears are so sharp
- Rabbits are hard to catch
- Rabbits are good jumpers
Vegetables are favorites for the rabbits.
You shouldn’t give more green veggies to your rabbits. Two or three varieties of foods are ideal for rabbits.
Make sure not to add two or three new food items suddenly to their diet.
The digestive system of rabbits is complex. There are certain types of bacteria in their guts that help them indigestion. If you suddenly introduce a new food in large quantities, it will be difficult for them to digest food. It may even cause serious digestive problems.
You can add one item to their diet once a week. Most of the food found in the market are safe for the rabbits. Proper diets will keep them healthy.
The food items which are suitable for rabbits are:
- Bell peppers
- Okra leaves
- Sprouts like alfalfa, radish, and clover
Foods you should avoid feeding your rabbit
Some foods are unsafe for rabbits. If we feed them they can make rabbits extremely weak.
Here are some foods that you need to void feeding your bunny:
- Cabbage (although cabbage is fine to feed, make sure not to feed them daily or in large amount)
- Cauliflower (you may feed cauliflower, but only in less quantity and that even once or twice a week. You may feed cauliflower stalks and greens).
- Yogurt or any other dairy product
- Mustard Green
- Chocolate or anything containing caffeine
You need to give fruits to your bunny at least one or two times a week.
You need to feed fruits along with hay. Feed vegetables along with fruits. It is also high in sugar but it is nutritious.
Fruits you may feed your rabbit:
How should I feed my rabbits?
- A rabbit should be fed twice daily.
- Rabbit needs hay and grass daily in their diet.
- They should eat hay consistently to prevent digestive diseases.
- Veggies are also the most important part of the diet.
- The amount of food you give to rabbits depend on their health and size.
- You can feed them 3 to 4 types of green leafy vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, kale.
- You can feed new types of food but in small amounts to avoid stomachache or any other problems.
- You can also feed pellets and nuggets daily in a small amount.
- Don’t feed your rabbit foods high in sugar, caffaine, and carbohydrates (e.g., bread, pasta, cookies).
Do Rabbits need water?
Yes, rabbit needs water. Fresh water should available all the time.
They can drink water from bowls as well as sipper bottles.
Although rabbits get some water from food, the quality isn’t enough. So they need to drink water.
Water is also important for their body to function. Drinking water is important to rabbit health. Lack of water may cause illness.
There are misapprehension about what rabbits should eat. Common myth is that the rabbit eats a lot of carrots but carrots are occasionally fruit for their diet.
Myth 1: Rabbits eat a lot of carrots
- Carrots aren’t the most important food in their diet.
- You shouldn’t feed carrots regularly.
- It contains a high amount of sugar and only be fed once a week.
Myth 2: Hay is used as bedding
- Hay is the most important food for rabbits. It is also important for their health.
- You can serve fresh hay daily as it is their regular food.
- Hay and green veggies or grass are also good for them.
Myth 3: Rabbits should be fed a lot of commercial food
- Too much commercial food can cause weight gain.
- They may cause digestive problems if fed in excess.
Why is Hay important for rabbits?
- Hay is made up of fibers that strengthen the muscles of rabbits
- Hay is also good for their complex digestive system.
- If a rabbit doesn’t eat enough hay then it can slow its digestive function.
- An important thing to note is that all the hays aren’t the same. There are different types of hay: cheap, dusty, or even sweet-smelling green hay. Sweet smelling green hay is a good one.
- Not all rabbits like hay in their daily diet. That’s why grass plays an important role as an alternate option to hay. The grass is also good for their teeth and stomach. Dried grass contains a lot of Calcium which is healthy for the rabbit’s teeth. You can also mix dried grass with hay so rabbits can eat it easily.
- Rabbits have more than 17000 buds which is 7000 times more than humans
- Rabbits have 28 teeth and grow about 12cm a year
Poisonous plants for rabbits
All plants are not healthy for rabbits. Some of them are poisonous.
Rabbits have access to graze but sometimes there are also poisonous plants in the garden that can harm your bunny.
Some other poisonous plants are:
- Arum lily
- Oak leaves
- Potato Tops
- Woody nightshade
Which food are safe for rabbits?
Just like humans, rabbits have different food choices. They may not like all types of food.
They have strong taste buds. So you need to take special care about what you feed your bunny.
Vegetables that you can feed your rabbits:
- Celery Leaves
- Green Beans
- Curly kale
Fruits that are safe for rabbits :
- Kiwi Fruit
Safe herbs for rabbits:
What do wild Rabbits eat?
Firstly, all the rabbits are herbivores.
Wild rabbits are also herbivores but they eat the meat of other animals (rarely).
Wild rabbits also consume green veggies or plants (shrubs, leaves, clove leafy weeds).
Wild rabbits eat a lot of grass which acts as roughage and they are healthy for their digestive systems.
Diet of wild rabbits in winter season
Fresh green veggies are not available all the time (as in the winter season).
So, during the winter season, rabbits mostly eat dried or dead plants.
Although they stick to the green plants wherever they find they graze.
During winters, they do not eat according to their taste buds and mainly rabbits eat for their survival.
Rabbits usually like to eat the apple, pea, and tree leaves.
Rabbits mostly want to eat green veggies, fresh fruits because these foods have the highest water content.
Diet of wild rabbit in summer season?
Rabbits eat green veggies, fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer season.
They also love to eat grass. They eat those plants or vegetables which have high water content.
Lack of water may cause dehydration. So they prefer too much water content in vegetables or fruits.
Can rabbits eat spinach?
Yes, they can eat uncooked spinach occasionally. Raw spinach contain 90% of water 4% carbohydrate and 3% protein and Spinach fulfill their basic dietary need. You can also feed other green fresh veggies which are better than spinach. Most spinach grown for sale that contains high amount of pesticides which can harm your rabbits.
Although spinach are safe for rabbits. Rabbits can eat spinach leaves, stems and flowers. Spinach are non-toxic for rabbits. Spinach is different from all the grass. Spinach is also rich in fiber and mainly mature spinach leaves contain more fiber. It also contain other necessary vitamins and minerals like calcium and potassium. Calcium helps to cure dental diseases and make their bones strong. Spinach is great source of Vitamin C.
Large amount of spinach may harm rabbits health. Its good to serve small amount of spinach twice in a week. You can only give hay in bulk amount, it is easy to digest.
Water spinach is different from spinach plant which is commonly known as river spinach, Chinese spinach. It is also grown in Asia, California, Texas. Water spinach is suitable for rabbit’s health.
Basically spinach is good for rabbit’s health, until they eat in limited amount.
Fun facts of Rabbits
They can’t live without carrot
Cartoons or animated films show that rabbits joyfully survive on carrots. But wild rabbits do not eat root vegetables. It does not mean that you can not give your bunny some carrots.
Some Rabbits are big like a toddler
Most Rabbits are cute and small. But there are also some giant rabbits mostly in wild. They are very gentle, and hugely popular.
Rabbits “BINKY” When They are Happy
If you spend abundant time with rabbits then you must notice cute activity of rabbits, when rabbits are happy they twist in mid-air, this cute action has a cute name “Binky”.
Rabbits eat their poop
This is the worst practices of rabbits. After digestion they eat their own poop and they re-digest the food. Rabbits have fast digestive system. They absorb all the nutrients in second time.
Rabbits can not vomit
They have so strong and yet sensitive digestive system. They are physically incapable of moving in reverse. By eating a lot of roughage that pushes it through the digestive tract.
Rabbits can see almost 360 degree
They have nearly 360 degrees. So they can easily see what is coming from behind them, above them, and from the sides without turning their head.
Rabbit’s teeth never stop growing
Like humans, fingernails, and hair rabbit teeth don’t stop growing. Their teeth almost grow 5 inches per year.
Rabbit’s ears are so sharp
Rabbits can rotate 270 degrees which helps them to detect any threats. The oversized ears also help them to cool the rabbits on a hot day.
Rabbits are hard to catch
Rabbits can detect threats two miles away.
Rabbits are good jumpers
Rabbits have magnificent back legs. They can jump almost 3 feet off the ground and nearly 10 feet farthest.
What does rabbit like to eat?
Rabbit mostly like green veggies and fresh fruit. These are the part of their balanced diet. Hay is the most important part of the rabbit’s diet. They like to eat small amount of pellets and some green leaves.
What foods are toxic to rabbits?
Avocado is one of the most toxic food for rabbits and fruits pips is also dangerous for them. Even small amount of these fruits can harm them or may cause death.
What do rabbits drink?
Just like other mammals, water is best drink for rabbits. Rabbits need water to do multi body functions. Avoid to give distilled water or chlorine water. It may harm your rabbit.
What can make a rabbit stop eating?
Digestive issues, stress, pain, and dental issues may stop them from eating.