The main diet of any rabbit has to be hay. But what about red cabbage? Can rabbits eat red cabbage?
In short, yes, rabbits can eat red cabbage. But it has to be only a supplement to their regular hay diet.
Red cabbage must not form a part of your rabbit’s regular diet. Feeding them twice or thrice a week (in small amounts) is okay.
- Is Red Cabbage Safe for Rabbits?
- Red Cabbage and Rabbit's Urine
- How much red cabbage can your rabbit eat?
- Health Benefits of Cabbage
- Can Young Rabbits Eat Cabbage?
- Can Rabbits eat Cabbage Everyday?
- Can rabbits eat purple cabbage?
- Can you feed red cabbage to rabbits?
- Why can't rabbits eat cabbage?
- Will rabbits eat cabbage?
Is Red Cabbage Safe for Rabbits?
As we have already answered that rabbits can eat red cabbage, let me tell you that red cabbage is completely safe for young rabbits.
But here are a few things that you should keep in mind.
- Don’t overfeed red cabbage to your bunny. Overfeeding may cause gas or some other health issues. As you already know, “excess of anything is bad“.
- When you are feeding red cabbage for the first time, feed only small amounts and that even slowly.
Generally, there are bacteria in rabbits’ guts. These bacteria help them in digesting the food items.
Now, if you are feeding your bunnies something new (say, red cabbage) then these bacteria need to adapt to the new food item.
However, if you suddenly start overfeeding your rabbits something new (red cabbage in our case), then this act causes gas or stomach upset in rabbits.
You wouldn’t want that, would you?
So start feeding red cabbage slowly, if doing for the first time.
Red Cabbage and Rabbit’s Urine
A few years ago, when I googled the question, “can rabbit eat red cabbage?”… I saw a forum at the top. I found one of the answers to be worth mentioning.
This person who goes by the name “thumps” clearly answered the question that “yes, rabbits can eat red cabbage. But when you’re feeding them the first time, make sure to do it in small quantity?.”
Further, he went down to explain that if your rabbit eats a lot of red cabbage, the red color from the cabbage will dissolve in water and come outta urine.
Generally, the urine of rabbits is yellow, plus highly alkaline.
Due to high alkalinity, the red dissolved color from the cabbage will get turned into blue color. Further, the yellow color of the urine will mix with the blue color to give green color urine.
In short, if you see green-colored urine from your rabbit, it isn’t harmful. But we recommend you to stop feeding red cabbage to your little bunnies at once as it may cause other health issues if overfed.
How much red cabbage can your rabbit eat?
We recommend you to feed red cabbage to your rabbit only twice or thrice a week.
However, if you wish to feed red cabbage to your bunny daily, you can do so in small quantity along with some other veggies.
The daily diet of any rabbit should contain around 10 to 15 percent vegetables. Red cabbage can be a part of that percentage.
Now, the amount of red cabbage to be given to your rabbit should depend upon the size of your bunny.
You can feed 1 cup of veggies for every 5-pound weight of a rabbit.
You can give three types of veggies to your rabbit every day. One of those veggies can be red cabbage.
Just in case you are feeding red cabbage for the first time, try feeding your bunny only a small amount once a week. This will make sure that the bacteria inside their tummy get adapted to this healthy veggie.
Health Benefits of Cabbage
Now that you know that red cabbage is safe for your rabbit, let’s talk about the health benefits of red cabbage for your bunny.
Nutritional Values in Red Cabbage
Before eating anything we should always look at the health effects of any food item.
Since we are talking about red (or purple) cabbage right now, let’s discuss that health benefits of red cabbage.
When I googled the nutritional values of Red Cabbage, I found the following table.
From the looks of it, we can assume that red cabbage is a preety healthy vegetable.
|Nutrients||Amount per 100g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||2 μg|
|Folate (B9)||24 μg|
|Vitamin C||34.4 mg|
|Vitamin K||47.6 μg|
So, we can refer the following points from the above table:
- Red cabbage is a rich source of vitamin C, K, B6, B1, B2, B3, fiber, manganese, copper, potassium, chlorine, phosphorus, selenium, iron, calcium, proteins, etc. It is a highly nutritious vegetable.
- Red cabbage may help in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
- It may also lot the risk of some heart diseases.
- It may improve digestion.
- It can also prevent inflammation.
Risks of Overfeeding Red Cabbage
Answering this question in brief, overfeeding red cabbage can cause several issues for your rabbits.
Generally, we have seen rabbits getting gas due to excess red cabbage.
Also, if your rabbit has a sensitive digestive system, too much red cabbage can be harmful. In case your rabbit gets diarrhea after eating red cabbage, your rabbit may be sensitive to red cabbage and you should stop feeding them at once.
So, you should feed red cabbage to your rabbit in a limited amount only.
Alternatives to Red Cabbage
Besides red cabbage, you may feed the following veggies to your pet rabbit:
- Nappa Cabbage
- Brussels sprouts
- Choy Sum
- Savoy cabbage
How to feed Red Cabbage to Your Bunny (Rabbit)
- Feed read cabbage to rabbits who are at least 12 weeks old. Younger rabbits are more sensitive to all types of cabbages.
- Red cabbage must be thoroughly washed in running water. Make sure every kind of chemical including pesticide, herbicide, or insecticide gets removed.
- Now start feeding them a small quantity of red cabbage. Wait for 24 hours to see whether the digestive system of your rabbit is okay or not. If your rabbit gets no diarrhea or had or any other problem, start increasing the amount a little. But remember, don’t overfeed.
- Lastly, keep feeding them different types of veggies in combination with red cabbage.
Can Young Rabbits Eat Cabbage?
Young rabbits have a more sensitive digestive system than older rabbits. It’s better not to feed red cabbage to young rabbits.
Can Rabbits eat Cabbage Everyday?
Red cabbage can be a part of rabbits’ daily diet if fed in small quantities along with other vegetables. It a best to feed red cabbage only twice or thrice a week to your bunny.
Can rabbits eat purple cabbage?
Purple cabbage and red cabbage are the same things. Red cabbage is a safe vegetable that your rabbit can eat daily.
Can you feed red cabbage to rabbits?
Yes, it’s fine. But it needs to be introduced in small amounts when feeding for the first time.
Why can’t rabbits eat cabbage?
Rabbits do eat cabbage. It is just that you need to feed them cabbage in small amounts at first.
Will rabbits eat cabbage?
Rabbits eat cabbage. But if you’re feeding them the first time, they may not eat. You need to slowly start feeding them cabbage in a smaller amount.
- Red cabbage is a very nutritious vegetable. You may feed red cabbage twice or thrice a week to your rabbit.
- Make sure not to overfeed.